[Year 12 IT Apps] OO Software

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 17:40:39 EST 2010

Use it all the time .. only thing that runs some LOTE languages here
(including Khmer). Teacher aides prefer the drawing tool that comes built
in. Exactly the same interface with the Mac and Windows platform, free to
give to students, As I see it, there is absolutely no reason why any good
school should not co-deploy it on their network with MS Office. It simply
works and will not make the milk or Office 2007 turn sour. I do occasionally
jump into MS Access to solve a small database problem although I will admit
that I am now really keen on the idea of giving File Maker Pro a run for its
money in 2011 with the new study design. WIsh I had spent more time learning
PHP and MYSQL from Kevork's book and workshops, the chap is a genius. (check
VITTA for details)

Thinking ahead, increasingly we use GoogleDocs to build and share documents
/ spreadsheets and files. If people spent more time using these cool
cloud-based tools to draft, colaborate and share and thus less time fluffing
about with unpacking / fonts / styles / remember to add in tweaks / fight
over ownership / etc then we would all get more done. I have been blown over
by the 80+ GoogleDocs my network technicians jointly assembled to document
and describe our network, training handouts etc. In 6 months they did more
than I ever did with a single shared network drive and MS Office. The thing
just rocks!

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au