[Year 12 IT Apps] IARTV October test

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Sep 3 15:21:57 EST 2009

Oops.  Hit SEND too soon.  The second last para should read:

e.g. a person can only be allocated to a location that exists in the
location table.  This can be done by forcing employees' locations be
selected from a drop-down list whose contents are populated
automatically with values from the locations list.  You can also set up
a validation rule stating that the value in the location field must
exist in a limited list.

Mark Kelly wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Anyone else using the CSE's IARTV October test for ITA?
>
> I'm having issues with one of its database questions (4c):
>
> "A one-to-many relationship is established between the Employees Table
> and the Locations table.
>
> Explain why setting this relationship would prevent a row in the
> location table being deleted if some employees were still allocated to
> that location."
>
> The suggested answer is "Setting a relationship will prevent deletion of
> any row that is used as a key in an existing relationship - referential
> integrity."
>
> This is just not true, at least in Filemaker.  You certainly can delete
> a record in a related table when local records still reference it. Do
> other databases behave differently?
>
> Secondly, as I understand it, referential integrity (at least in
> Filemaker) is not automatically created when a relationship is set up.
> It's a deliberate strategy to ensure that values can only selected from
> an existing list of options.
>
> e.g. a person can only be allocated to a location that exists in the
> location table.  This can be done by forcing employees' locations be
> selected from a drop-down list whose contents are populated
> automatically with values from the locations list.  You can also set up
> a validation rule stating that the value in the location
>
> Again, do other databases have referential integrity enforced by the
> RDBMS - and how do they do it?

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au