[Year 12 IT Apps] OT - Ultranet functionality - true integration ?

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Mon Mar 16 17:27:32 EST 2009

Hello Kevork

these are all good things and yes we do want to work toward them, but I
don't see that we need a revolution to achieve them. Why can't we evolve
toward them by building on what we have, adding components that are missing
and gluing the lot together by a common data transfer language.
In another context, Penny Wong recently said that we might not be able to
get a Ferrari but we'd settle for a Holden (or something like that) - my
fear (and I think fairly founded given Govenrment track record not just on
the Ultrnet so far but on any big project involving computers) is that while
aiming to give us a Ferrari we will actually get a Collins Class submarine
(am I mixing metaphors or what) - works but can't actually do the job it was
designed for, needs retrofitting as soon as it is released, and will be
scheduled for replacement inside of a couple of years. In the meantime huge
amounts of money will have been spent, us schools will have been put through
the wringer trying to make it work, and many of us will possibly have been
moved backward for our efforts. (Cynical...nah, not me!)

Regards
Robert T-A