[Year 12 IT Apps] information needed for gantt charts

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Fri Mar 6 20:02:03 EST 2009

Sorry about this, but the teacher in me couldn't let the quotes I wrote
about this earlier go without translating it into something students could
digest, and here is what it came up with:

Lead and Lag times are both enforced delays; that is, there is something in
the nature of a task that forces a delay that the project planner must take
into account.
The distinction is this:
If task B is dependent on task A and B cannot begin immediately after the
completion of A, then the delay is called:
a Lead if it is caused by B
a Lag if it is caused by A

In contrast, Slack and Float are both artifacts of the project planning
process:
If task B is dependent on A and we are  unsure of how long A will take, then
we may choose to schedule B at a later start time so as to allow for a later
than expected completion of A. In other words, we build some Slack into task
A.

While Float occurs between parallel sequences feeding into a common
dependency:
If C is dependent on both A and B, but A and B can be run in parallel, then
the Float is the difference in time between A and B (the path on which there
is no float is the critical path).

Pictures would be very useful at this point.

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC