[Year 12 IT Apps] Regarding youtube ....

Wayne Hewett staffwhe at rsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Sep 4 11:02:01 EST 2008

________________________________

From: itapps-bounces at edulists.com.au on behalf of Roland Gesthuizen
Sent: Thu 4/09/2008 12:23 AM
To: Year 12 IT Applications Teachers' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Year 12 IT Apps] Regarding youtube ....

Here is a better option .. check out Miro. It was a hit with our new MacBook users when we added it to our new image (There are Linux and Windows versions too). It is a free, open source Internet TV and video player that can automatically download videos from RSS-based channels. Basically you can use it to schedule TV shows, YouTube and other video searches via the Internet. These can then be easily played back and shared with your students, between staff at school. So far it has played just about any video format file that I have thrown at it. Very slick.
     http://www.getmiro.com

This week I used it to record and play back a NASA environmental news clip, a science demonstration, a Python programming / Moodle tutorial, and a particular ABC Quantum episode I was trying to nail down. All of these vodcasts were freely published online then added to a searchable library on my computer. It will even scan your school network drives for video files. In our case, any files recorded on the digital media centre in our library by our librarian or shared by other staff. Here is a life hacker review of this software.
     http://lifehacker.com/400157/miro-is-your-tivo-for-internet-video

Regards Roland