[Year 12 IT Apps] Alt tags showing in IE, not in Firefox - DreamWeaver help please

Joseph Papaleo josephpapaleo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 16:26:27 EST 2008

Interesting Mark.

I checked the World Wide Web Consortium site and found that Firefox didn't
create an extension. Read on ...

According to the World Wide Web Consortium's specifiactions for HTML 4.01
(written 1999) and HTML 5 Draft recommendations written July 2008, both
state alt should be used.

According to http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#the-img "It is important to
realize that the alternative text is a *replacement* for the image, not a
description of the image."
and
"The title <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#title> attribute represents
advisory information for the element, such as would be appropriate for a
tooltip"  http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#title

So, the alt tag is used to replace an image when braille output is required
or a speech synthesiser is used.  So Firefox is correct and Macromedia is
correct, leaving Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7, umm, not following the
standards.

Didn't Microsoft recently announce that they would follow the standards in
IE8 which is now in beta form?  If that happens, how many other tags have I
been incorrectly teaching?  How many web pages will have to be re-written?
Hmmm...

Joseph Papaleo
Ivanhoe Grammar School