[Year 12 IT Apps] Database relationships

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Fri Jul 25 12:01:19 EST 2008

Hi Mark -

I don't mind at all - the info is in my sig, and repeated here.

I watch (and sometimes post to) these lists for
my own techo interests, and to pass on useful
info to our teachers. One of the pieces in my
chequered past was working as a programmer at
Monash Uni doing clever things with VCE results
and course choices using CA Clipper and MS
Access. I also have some expertise with DEC
Datatrieve (which got me a contract at Scotch
doing their end of year processing, including the
end of year student reports (pre-Markbook thank
goodness)), so that brands me as a really old frat (sp?)!

rgds
Jim

Jim Maunder
Laptop and PC Support Technician
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia
ph 03 9290 9374

At 10:59 AM 25/07/2008, you wrote:
>Hi Jim.  If you're not a teacher, would you mind
>saying where you are/what you do/why you're here?
>
>Relationships are great fun, and source of
>endless debate amongst people.  I think database
>structures border on works of creative art, sometimes.
>
>It's a sad sign that I sometimes lie awake at
>night pondering complex relationships that involve key fields instead of women
>
>:-(
>

>Jim Maunder wrote:
>>Don't know if this will help:
>>I'm not even a teacher let alone an IPM teacher
>>- but I have fiddled with databases in my
>>chequered past and remember something about 3rd
>>normal form from the Grad Dip Comp course 20
>>odd years ago. I set up a quick sample in
>>Access to show how I would go about a student database:
>>Emacs!
>>I would say that students and form have a 1 to
>>1 relationship, and that students and stud_subj
>>has a 1 to many relationship, but I'm only guessing.
>>rgds
>>Jim
>>
>>At 05:25 PM 24/07/2008, you wrote:
>>>Yes it is confusing but I would still argue
>>>that it is one entity and that entity has a
>>>number of data relationships in it. There is
>>>also only one Medicare card number on it and
>>>that is unique ­ each child does not get their
>>>own Medicare card with a different Medicare number.
>>>

>>>Kind regards
>>>
>>>Allan Barnes, CEO
>>>Australian Institute of Education and Training
>>>P.O. Box 171
>>>Brunswick West 3055
>>>Ph: (03) 9387 2051
>>>FAX: (03) 9387 3470