[Year 12 IT Apps] Database relationships

Lisa Imms lisimms at copticvic.org
Wed Jul 23 18:10:15 EST 2008

Hi Mark,

Firstly, thanks for the resource :-)

I hate to even contemplate disagreeing with you as my ITA class and I regard you as the ITA font-of-all-knowledge, but I will try this anyway.....

Your example for one-to-one: "E.g. an employee's department data in one table matches a corresponding department in another table, allowing data relating to that department to be fetched."

Wouldn't this be a one to many relationship? Even the line you have joining them has the 'many feathers' at the employees table? Although each employee can belong to only one department, each department can (and will) have multiple employees? So it is actually a one to many relationship?

Am I correct in assuming that a well organised database would not have any one-to-one relationships? The two tables in a one-to-one relationship could/should just be merged into one table?

Lisa Bairstow
St Mary's Coptic Orthodox College