[Year 12 IT Apps] [OT] 'Ruddy' Computers

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Jul 22 13:27:35 EST 2008

Hi all.  This is OT, but I just wanted to air this.  If the thread
develops, we can move it to the OffTopic list.

I wanted to get people's ideas about the money we are being given to get
us to a 1:2 computer/student ratio.

Yesterday I found we were entitled to apply for funding for 257
computers, which is wonderful except for the fact that we have nowhere
to put them.

I could perhaps use about 45 of them, but 257?  Not unless we also get
funding for new buildings, cabling, tech support, software licences etc.

If we applied for the maximum amount of money we are entitled to, the
only only option would be for use to stack the computers five-deep in
shipping containers on the oval.

At $1000 per PC (assuming about $650 for the hardware the the rest for
associated expenses) I can't see it working.  And we can't just use the
money to replace existing computers - we have to add to the existing fleet.

It's starting to look like a white elephant: the gift you'd give to
someone you really didn't like  :-)

Is anyone else in the same boat?

Cheers
Mark

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

A conclusion is the place where you got sick of thinking.
If you Declare War - is it integer or boolean?