[Year 12 IT Apps] OT Internet Access

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Jan 13 08:41:18 EST 2008

On 13/01/2008, at 6:55 AM, Maggie Iaquinto wrote:

> Yes, Russell. This all sounds like the 'Great Firewall of China'.

Actually, it is a lot, lot worse than Chinese Internet censorship.
Theirs is a blacklist. Ours is a whitelist.  Because the internet is
vastly larger than what can be practically hand-checked, it's
impossible for any list to cover a significant fraction it.

Actual numbers are pretty uncertain but as rough guide:

Number of sites on the internet: ~100 million
Number of sites allowed by the Education Channel: 200,000
Number of sites blocked by Chinese Communist Party: 20,000

Fraction of sites blocked by Communist Party: 0.02%
Fraction of sites blocked by DEECD: 99.8%

As you can see, what is left for Chinese citizens can still reasonably
be called "the Internet". This is not the case for Education Channel-
only provision.

Russell Edwards
Whittlesea Secondary College