[Year 12 IT Apps] RE: Google docs issue

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Mon Dec 8 16:31:04 EST 2008

>However in schools this was not always the case - individual teachers and other staff seemed to believe that their individual views represented that of the entire school, and IT staff were pulled in all directions, often contradictory, After unblocking one website for one staff member, they'd get another complaining that their kids could now waste time on that same website. After installing some piece of software based on one request, theyd have someone else asking him why staff were being confused with multiple offerings. You can probably see his dilemma.

>His view that he was paid by the school to meet the school's needs - but the school's needs were not always clearly defined

>He commented that in some schools the IT support people ended up taking the lead because there seemed to be nobody else willing to manage a process that reached a school-level view on priority and strategy. He thought this was a dangerous situation.

Ken, has your IT technical manager been speaking to our IT technical manager? One of the biggest frustrations our guy has is that he feels he is there to serve the needs of the school community, but that the said community doesn't seem to have a clue where it wants to go with all this IT staff. And that is a curriculum issue, not an IT issue.

It sounds to me like Royce is taking a tough but perfectly understandable line on all this. Not wishing to put words into his mouth, but something like "show me the evidence that this will improve student learning, get the school to agree with you, and then come see me with your proposal"

Regards
Robert T-A