[Year 12 IT Apps] RE: Google docs issue

murch at tpg.com.au murch at tpg.com.au
Sun Dec 7 11:56:22 EST 2008

Hello Royce
I use google docs quite a lot and would love to use them more with my students and also with my fellow staff. They are free, online,
shareable and can be worked on collaboratively. The forms in google docs give me an easy option to set up surveys with my
students and other global students and the results are dumped immediatley into google sheet for my students to work with,
manipulate and chart. They can be embedded in blogs, wikis etc It means that they can be worked on for project work within the
class and as I work on a lot of global projects with students in other countries.
As to firefox, my year 9 girls were part of a flatclassroom project run by teachers in Qatar and USA. They shared a wiki where they
developed web pages on various topics relating to web2.0 and internet use in science, education, health, entertainment etc. The final
outcome of the project was to produce a video on their topic. However part of the video had to be outsources to their fellow class
mates in USA, Qatar, Oman, Spain or Ethiopia. The students overseas, uploaded their video clip onto the ning and my students had
to grab them from there to put into own video. Firefox was the only one that had a toolbar that would enable us to grab their videos
down. We find IE can be very unstable at times but firefox is far more reliable and has wonderful toolbars. Therefore, as we use the
internet so much in my classes, I would love to be able to have the option of firefox and google docs to ensure those powerful
learning outcomes can be gained by my students for true 21st century learning.
I also have problems with virtual classroom software in that internet explorer cannot be displayed when attempting webtours. This is
due to some firewall restriction as well and really hampers our journey into this field.
Anne Mirtschin
Hawkesdale P12 College
http://murch.globalteacher.org.au

4.html>http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/infotech/itapplications3-4.html