[Year 12 IT Apps] U4 O1 - Excel 2007 & macros

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Aug 14 09:43:39 EST 2008

Hi Jock.  Macros can be recorded and run in Office 2007 (View > Macros).
  I just recorded one to jump to sheet2, and it works fine.

Office security is a pain at times - you might have to enable macros in
Excel (then restart Excel for it to take effect.)  And there are
different Excel file types for spreadsheets with and without macros in
them (.xlsx and .xlsm respectively).

It might get more tricky setting Excel up for a network image to install
on classroom workstations...

I was recently muttering dark oaths about the disappearance of
customising keyboard shortcuts in Word 2007, and the sudden loss of the
"path" field code... only to discover they were still there, but in
places I hadn't delved into yet.

It may be a case of old dog/new tricks, but I really DO prefer the old
Office 2003 menus rather than the silly 2007 ribbon.  As far as I can
tell, 2007 has added no new worthwhile functionality; they've just
shuffled the deckchairs.

Cheers
Mark

Jock Garnsworthy wrote:
> Hi all,
> One of the powerful SS features that I teach my students for U4 O1 (and
> other year levels) is the use of macros to automate procedures within a
> spreadsheet.
> As Office 2007 creeps into our environment, it seems this powerful
> feature is no longer accessible due to the decision of the Microsoft
> programmers.
> Does anyone else share my frustration in this quite strange loss and has
> anyone found a work around.
> I am loathe to suggest to the techies we keep Excel 2003 on the system
> as I can predict their response.
>
> Remaining confused ,
>
> Jock Garnsworthy
> Williamstown High School
> ga at willihigh.vic.edu.au

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

A conclusion is the place where you got sick of thinking.