[Year 12 IT Apps] Open Office

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 13 15:47:08 EST 2008

Don't use the OpenOffice Database for U3O1! Its interface is still
underdeveloped and you need to trawl the murky waters to find documentation
for the latest version - although what there is is usually very good.

Pros: It handles simple mail merges much more elegantly that MSOffice - drag
and drop from the data sources screen in Writer; it works with your
favourite SQL databases; it is very programmable and flexible.

Cons: the interface is clumsy; attaching behaviours to controls is less than
intuitive; beyond simple mail merges you need to get your hands dirty (i.e.
conditional merges that WordPerfect 5.1 handled so easily); it needs a lot
of scripting to achieve simple behaviours like filtering records on the
contents of a drop-down list.

On the whole, stay away from it unless you feel like doing a lot of
scripting; if you do the hard yards it is quite effective. The only reason I
would use it rather than Access would be to provide a simple front end to a
MySQL database.

Bring back Paradox - that was fun!

Laurie