[Year 12 IT Apps] Barcode controls for late schoolchildren introduced in Melbourne

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 13 12:27:33 EST 2008

Hi Stuart,

 Looks great. Sounds like a good case study.

We have been running this system ( local solution written in Access and VB ) for over 10 years using the library cards ( 14 digit code ) and a scanner for students to self-serve their scanning of late arrival, collect a late pass with a timestamp from a receipt printer and submit a note if they have one. Photo attached.
( We actually developed a product where scanners are mounted to the classroom wall for students to swipe when arriving in each class and the data to be downloaded 5 mins into the lesson and 1 min before the end of the lesson to pick up latenesses. This was implemented in 1995, but the world wasn't ready for it and the scanners are still on our classroom walls though dormant . It is a classic exercise in user resistance destroying uptake of a technically superior product. See photo. The product grew out of a CAT -remember them,  the cousins of our SACs ? -  back in 1993 where we developed the software for a rollmarking system on a reduced "school" of 3 teachers and 15 classes for assessment purposes. We then invited a manufacturer of barcode readers to speak to the class after which they showed interest in developing the product. They spent 12 months developing ClassNet and then sold it commercially with our upgraded and further developed software.

Impetus for change was wanting to release the time commitment of having a coordinator at the counter to collect a late note, write out a late pass and hand to a student. Now the coordinators are free to do other more important work such as collect reports of latenesses ( auto emailed by 12 noon ) and chase latenesses.

We have arrived at another crossroad and a further impetus for change. With electronic roll marking we have the facility to record latenesses on line for any student. So, why have a lateness module as well ? All I can see left in the system is the "stigma" and "ritual" of jumping through hoops when a student presents late. Is it still needed ?
Maybe not. It will be a staff meeting agenda item in the next few weeks.

Great case study. I still think the self serve it is the best rollmarking system for a school where students are responsible for their attendance and teachers monitor/override and otherwise "manage" rather than do the clerical tasks that take soooooooooooo much of our professional time.

Take Care

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> "Anderson, Stuart L" <anderson.stuart.l at edumail.vic.gov.au> 13/08/2008 10:35 am >>>
A good lead in to Unit 4 Outcome 2 (once we get Outcome 1 done!)......

Barcode controls for late schoolchildren introduced in Melbourne

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24172007-2862,00.html <http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24172007-2862,00.html>