[Year 12 IT Apps] Totally Offtopic- Real Life Games

murch at tpg.com.au murch at tpg.com.au
Mon Sep 3 13:50:39 EST 2007

Thank you Roland for introducing this. We had Heather Blakey at our school a couple of weeks
ago to start us on bloggin and it has been the best thing for our kids. Students who are low in
literacy, poor at reading and barely motivated are right into it. People from other countries have
given them feedback on their blogs and they have gained so much in confidence. It has then
become a living lesson in geography, history etc as they search the net to see where they come
from.
Our attempt is at www.backyard.globalstudent.org.au. Since we started that, I have got onto
some other teachers in NZ, Canada and the USA. We are working on separate wikis for each year
level and each school. So in NZ we are going to learn podcasting together See
www.roomtis18.wikispaces.com/NZAP. We are having fun with vokis as introductions as you can
see but that site is now blocked in our school (I have to stay one step ahead of the blockers) so
my grade 6 kids have not been able to create theirs.) I am also working with a keen US teacher
in Las Vegas with my year 8 students but time differences means skyping is difficult but we are
creating a wiki as we go and skyping each other outside class time to collabotate on putting it all
together. It is in its early stages but as we go. it will grow. Their school is brand new and they are
still waiting for their computers. See www.globallearningproject.wikispaces.com
Talk about virtual teams from ITA. Instead of me being at the centre of small remote p12 school
in a rural area, we can be part of the centre of cyberspace.
I have also joined a webkinz project with Canada and USA. You cant even buy webkinz in
Australia yet but lucky I got one on ebay. This allows us to build a virtual world for our little toy.
Grade 3 and 4 will work on that and enter blogs on a daily or weekly basis. (Like the teddy bear
exchange.)
anyway enough rambling,
If anyone is interested email and I can send more details. But get into wikis and blogs. The world
and the sky is your limit. I hope this all makes sense cos my brain is still in overdrive!!!
Anne Mirtschin
Hawkesdale p12 College