[Year 12 IT Apps] More errors in Potts

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Feb 26 15:37:58 EST 2007

Perhaps we should set up an errata page.

Please tell your kids to ignore table 4-19 in Potts... I don't know
about XP but the Mac OS and and Unix columns are roughly 50% incorrect.

Mac OS X standard filesystems DO allow extensions (or any number of dots
in a name), as with other Unices.

Spaces are allowed in unix but tend to cause problems.

Mac OS X by default is case *in*sensitive, a real trap for young
players! It preserves case but matches are insensitive.

Unix is case sensitive and there's no reason to "use lower case".

Also I query the definition of "test data" on p 129-130. To me test data
is data that is input to an application to test it... it can possibly be
no data at all

cheers

Russell

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education.