[Year 12 IT Apps] edublogs

Edwards, Russell T Edwards.Russell.T at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Feb 23 16:26:51 EST 2007

Andrew,

I may be ill-informed, as I have heard people saying they've done exactly as=
 you're aiming to do.

However, it is my understanding that on a blog, only the owner of the blog i=
s meant to be able to start new posts/entries.

A site where anyone can start new topics, and all such topics appear intermi=
ngled regardless of initiator, would be described as a web discussion forum.

A site where posts started by a given person only appear on that person's ow=
n page, would be described as a blog.

Furthermore, on a blog, the owner has rights to modify or delete comments wh=
ile the person who wrote the comment usually does not have this privilege. O=
n forums on the other hand, the thread-starter has no special privileges ove=
r "his" or "her" thread: people can only edit or delete their own posts, unl=
ess they are a designated (board-wide) moderator.

A lot of people seem to want to use blogs for things that are better suited=
 for discussion forums. My take on it in an educational context is that disc=
ussion forums are best for free discussion (which any student or the teacher=
 may initiate), while blogs are for 1) the teacher to put up topic informati=
on (on a class blog), 2) discussions that are always initiated topic-by-topi=
c by the teacher (on a class blog) or 3) for students to keep a journal or p=
ortfolio of their work (on their own individual blogs).

As I said, I may be ill-informed but that's my understanding of it.

cheers

Russell
P.S. Apologies in advance for any crazy formatting... stuck on edumail web i=
nterface today.