[Year 12 IT Apps] U3O2 metatags

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Sat Feb 17 06:32:24 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 16:48 +1100, Edwards, Russell T wrote:

> I was just having a look at the VCAA "Software tools and functions"
> document:
>
> http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/infotech/it-apps-software-sr.pdf
>
> A few questions arise about what students "should be able to
> demonstrate". (Meaning? That the software should provide them with the
> opportunity to do so, or that every student should actually know how
> to do it?)

Some responses 'from an industry insider'...

> For U3O2 web authoring software specifically:
>
> 1. CSS. Really? I was planning on leaving that to the clever kids.
> Tables/Layout View in Dreamweaver for the rest.

No no no... please - if you can teach and encourage the use of CSS - and
strong separation of style and content - please do. As a web developer
it's a hard shift to make - but absolutely critical for long term data
reuse and integrity. If you haven't seen the brilliant Web 2.0 video
yet... it's a good argument for following the progress of web
development and leaving HTML 4.0 in the dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE&eurl

> 2. Metadata. I'm no expert but I can only recall two main uses for
> this. Am I forgetting something?
>       a. Search engine optimisation, obsolete since Google took over.
> (Google ignores them, as they are easily abused to manipulate results)

Google may have started ignoring metadata in regards to SEO - but it's
another clue for the digital archaeologists of the future - info about
info is important, it's also a good place to put source, license and
authoring information, language, accessibility... etc

I believe Google does still use 'site description' in it's ranked
listings?

>       b. Auto-refresh/redirect requests. Best avoided. Can't think why
> it would be needed for a virtual team collaboration site. Some
> realtime chat systems are based on auto-refresh web pages but this is
> a really ugly way to do it. Far better to use a proper chat/IM client,
> even a Java applet. I'd rather see a student put up bit of text saying
> "We'll all meet in MSNM at 10 pm" than do an ugly HTML-based chat.

Have to agree with this. A case of learning to use the right tool for
the right job.  We've all become addicted to pure browser based
solutions, but a chat client for chat, and an FTP or SCP (secure copy)
for moving files is always more efficient.

> 3. Import sound. Can't see why this would be useful for U3O2 unless
> the scenario specifically involves sound (e.g. a music/radio/TV
> network VT). Most web pages that have sound shouldn't; it's just
> annoying and contravenes sound KISS design principles.

Ha! :) So True.

--
donna benjamin - executive director
http://www.creativecontingencies.com/