[Year 12 IT Apps] Blogging

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Feb 15 11:47:00 EST 2007

A belated response to the blogging thread.

I agree with a couple of others who have noted that a forum is more
suited to question-and-answer style communication.

I am using blogs in my 9/10 IT classes as follows.

  * There is a class blog where I place a new entry for each topic, with
a blurb, a link to a copy of the handout, and any further description of
the task, net links etc.

  * The students each make their own blog. They are encouraged to use it
for whatever they like but primarily they are supposed to put a new
entry for every topic in the course (Blogs being "Topic 0"), filed under
a category corresponding to the subject code. In that entry they say
what they did, how they did it and why, and also include a small amount
of reflection on the task. Any files they make in the task are meant to
go in a standard structure on the network drive, but they should also
state where they are in the blog entry. (Attaching to the entry would be
best but doesn't work with the system we're using, wordpress.com, except
for specified file types.) They also place a trackback to the
corresponding class blog entry which (in theory) makes it easier for me
to assess.

This not only gives them a good grounding in the new face of the web,
blogs (what's the buzzword again, web2 or something??), it is also a fun
and engaging way to start the course, it encourages reflection, and
covers quite a few VELS dimensions. It also sits well with VELS in terms
of reflection, self- and even peer-assessment, and acts both as a
reflective journal and a digital portfolio -- though I haven't decided
exactly which dimensions I will assess against yet.

I have been amazed as a new teacher to see the more troublesome members
of the class slowly change their tune as they realised that what they
had to do was actually fun.

An intranet solution (moodle?) would be ideal but couldn't be provided
here in time. Wordpress is a great interface but has been painfully slow
for my students so I'll look elsewhere next time. Edublogs sounds good.

HTH

Russell

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education.