[Year 12 IT Apps] Blogging

Tony Beggs TBeggs at stpats.vic.edu.au
Sun Feb 11 15:20:42 EST 2007

Michael
I have introduced a blog for System Development as a source for the students to have easy access to the teacher when off site. Students ask about where to find course work and request clues for homework off the class web site etc.
It is a risk to run, as I presumed beforehand. I am still waiting for a mature audience response from some of the students.
However, one trick that has worked is for setting up one blog stream for technical questions which you control with a firm hand, and the other to allow for a more conversational style of involvement. This fits very well with their social electronic dialogues.
I have used Wordpress and it gives you immediate moderation control over comments via your email address. If things get out of hand there is a bulk option for deletion.
Michael, it is going to cost some time before it ticks all the boxes, but I believe it is going to work and I am starting to see more positive use of it now - and we are only at the end of the second week.
I will use the option to only enrol my class list next time, rather than leave subscription as open, as you are never too sure about who is saying what. IP address "WhoIs" can only give you certain investigative material.
Cheers
Tony Beggs
St Patrick's Ballarat