[Year 12 IT Apps] [OT] cost cutting with notebook computers

Andrew Sutton sutto at starnaudsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Dec 20 10:15:36 EST 2007

Just thought I'd contribute this story in the hope that someone will avoid a similar fate.
We recently purchased a batch of 30odd HP laptops.  We ordered identical machines but one with Vista business (to build a future image) one with XP pro to build a current image and the rest with Vista Basic because it was cheaper and we could take advantage of the DE&T MS deal.  A Couple of days later we ordered another Vista Basic computer for one of the office staff.  So imagine our surprise when the first four boxes we open all the computers were if different configurations ie. 2 Different wireless network cards, 3 different hard drives, all to the same spec but using different brands and thus drivers however we didn't discover this until we had spent a month's worth of tech time working on an image that then couldn't be used on the other computers because it had different hardware.
It turns out that with different operating systems they ship different hardware because of a) back room deals and b) where and how cheaply they can source parts from.  Now it seems that HP have either no experience with dealing with the demands of imaged systems or they just don't care about it.  It was made doubly hard with the fact that they don't even come with drivers CDs any more and we had blown away the partition that had drivers on it with an image that didn't work.

We finally have things sorted now but only after a 1 term delay but we have had to make an image with multiple drivers which is far from ideal.  (To think that the idea of ordering the other operating systems was to simplify the imageing process.)  Even the computer tech that came from the shop was amazed how the manufacturers couldn't or wouldn't look at an order form and think they want the same computer just with a different operating system.
I just thought I would contribute that as schools are about to order a lot of computers in the next couple of years and this sort of problem may be more prevalent with notebook computers than with desktops or it could just be that HPs business and computer building model does not fit well with the needs of schools.

For us it is definitely a case of once bitten twice shy.  Next time I think we will stick to a company that knows and understands the needs of schools, not just offers education pricing.

Anyway all the best for Christmas...sorry no booze, petrol vouchers, or money here.

Andrew Sutton
St Arnaud Secondary College