[Year 12 IT Apps] Some things do sink in after all

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Dec 11 10:30:11 EST 2007

It brings a blush of pride to my gnarled old knees  :-)

Thanks for that, Russell.

And if people are interested in the Excel Nested IF Challenge page, visit:

http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au/vceit/howto/nestedif.htm

Russell Edwards wrote:
> true
>
> I had a bit of a chuckle today.
>
> I was on a web forum, completely non-IT-related, but someone asked a
> question about how to do something in Excel. It was a a great job for a
> VLOOKUP and a drop-down box. I answered in keep-it-simple-stupid mode
> and just gave the VLOOKUP formula, without the added complication of
> explaining how to do a named lookup table or drop down lists. Someone
> else replied and said "too complicated, just use this formula" and gave
> a bit ugly nested IF statement!
>
> Then, someone else chimed in and said, No, you should use the VLOOKUP,
> put the lookup table in a different sheet, name it along with all other
> constants, and use a combo box. He then pointed readers to the Mark
> Kelly's VCE IT web site and said  "written by my old IT teacher ;-)".
>
> There you go Mark, pat yourself on the back: at least one of your
> students retained something ~7 years later (he's 25, or claims to be)!
>
> Russell Edwards
> Whittlesea Secondary College

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

You'll know when we are officially a civilised race: our schools have
all the money they need and the Air Force has to run a chook raffle to
buy a new bomber.