[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA study design query

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 14:57:27 EST 2007

Hi Mark,

this would refer to the testing of the Disaster Recovery plan itself.

One of my staff once told me of a large bank that had a disaster recovery
plan to cover the possible destruction of their offices in
Sydney.Thisinvolved the ongoing automatic duplication of all data and
services to a
backup headquarters somewhere else, so that in the event of a disaster they
could have business as usual.

They tested this fully by actually enacting a pretend destruction of the
offices - power out etc, and relocated the staff to the backup location. It
all worked beautifully, with only a minimal disruption to business
continuity. They kept operating for a few weeks from that location to verify
that it all worked well

Success!

Then after the test they went to move back to the normal office.. and
realised that wasn't part of the plan...it took weeks to restore back in the
opposite direction, as there was no automatic updating at the original
 "destroyed" head office.

kp