[Year 12 IT Apps] mail merge....

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Aug 21 16:44:14 EST 2007

I partly disagree. Mail merge with Excel is painful, but so is
constructing reports with Access!

Spreadsheets are useful and the kids have to use them, so they may as
well learn how to link them to a mail merge.   Personally I use Excel
+Word to mark student work and produce 1-page-per-student results
summaries. Also in the spreadsheet is the attendance record and
calculations based on assessments (e.g. computed VELS levels
recommendations to be input into my brain's "on balance judgement"
mechanism ;-). Having to do all this in Access or another RDBMS
instead of Excel would take twice as long, at least.

Russell