[Year 12 IT Apps] OT: Computer rollover

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Aug 10 11:40:55 EST 2007

No it isn't. A chess board is not designed to be a flying toy and that
is a a clearly inappropriate use. It comes down to what people accept as
appropriate use. Computers are purpose built to communicate/play games
etc - that is what they are designed/adapted for. What it is coming down
to is the differences in what people think is "appropriate" use and what
they define as an educational activity as opposed to "play". Would you
kick my Pre-Cal kids out if they were "playing" the essi-money game at
lunchtime? ( can *highly* recommend you look at that online game)  This
game has clearly engaged a group of kids who just don't want to be at
school. They are learning money and life skills - but many would kick
them out for playing a *game*.  For the first time this year, I have had
to order them to stop "working" and pack up!
There are many advantages that kids can get from using computers in all
manner of ways, not just research/ looking up the internet and word
processing. I would argue that the benefit a pre-cal kid gets from
playing that game is as important as my physics student using the
computer to analyse a spreadsheet.
Cheers
Cameron