[Year 12 IT Apps] YouTube down the tubes?

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Aug 6 12:25:01 EST 2007

On 06/08/2007, at 12:03 PM, Graham wrote:

> However, to state that 200, 000 of 100 million is inadequate seems
> an exaggeration.  I doubt that your school library has that many
> books.

No, it doesn't-- that's why the Web has taken over as the prime
resource for research. Students very frequently are completely unable
to obtain material they need for their classes, under the EC-only
system. Now, it may be that they could also not obtain that
information from the library, but that is irrelevant. It is the
potential value of the resource versus the actual value experienced
that matters, not a comparison to some other resource.   Imagine
building a pharmacy in a third-world country, then only allowing
natives to purchase paracetamol, because all other medicines have too
much potential for abuse. "But it's still better than relying on the
witch-doctor" is hardly a suitable defense.

> Using the same analogy, one would argue that, even if one's school
> library has 200,000 books, it is inadequate and it must have must
> have every book in the world.

If the Great Library of Alexandria only cost a couple of grand a year
and an insistence on teachers fulfilling their supervision duties,
that would be outstanding. Unfortunately there are logistical
obstacles in the case of hard copy books. Those issues aren't there
for the Web.

> The Internet is only one resource, not the only resource.  We
> should be teaching our students to use a variety of resources and
> not to depend upon one of! inconsistent, and often dubious, accuracy.

Books and other media are also of inconsistent and dubious accuracy.
It is our duty as educators to teach critical literacy. Students
should leave school being able to judge sources of information for
relevance, accuracy, neutrality, et cetera, and knowing how to
efficiently seek and find high-quality information. If this is done
for conventional media but not for the Web, that leaves a gaping hole
in their education.  Don't take it just from me; this is a major part
of VELS and PoLT.   It is hopeless to expect students to acquire
digital literacy if they never have access to low-quality information
sources, and never gain experience using any search engine bar the
Education Channel search.

> If your school library was inadequate, you would not just complain
> about it - you would do something, such as purchasing books, making
> recommendations to the librarian.  If the Educache is inadequate
> make an effort to improve it by recommending sites.

The entire approach of whitelist filtering is flawed. Unless they
will accept recommendations of the form *.com, *.net, *.org, *.gov,
*.au, then that will not work.

You are correct that there is no point just complaining about it. We
must take action. I'm doing it in my school. I'd love to see the EC-
only option officially deprecated by the DoE but as a little tiny
beginning teacher I'm conscious of not biting off more than I chew
just yet.

Russell Edwards
Whittlesea SC

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education.