[Year 12 IT Apps] Excel Resources from NC State University

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 20:09:08 EST 2007

Not sure about Outlook (I use Thunderbird) but I find that you have to teach
Bayesian SPAM filters
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_spam_filtering>what
are good e-mail messages as much as what is a junk e-mail. Easily done but
also easily overlooked. Google GMail quietly does this by noticing what
e-mails are not marked as junk. Our school uses a FLOSS (Free Libre
Open-Source) product that whitelists words from the outbound school mail
then applies this information to the inbound mail.
Very important if you have sister schools in Russia or Nigeria. Only the odd
e-mail now slips through my filters.

A DET e-mail once got slugged as SPAM until I noticed that it had made
considerable use of words such as bigger, better, faster, quicker,
satisfied, praise, longer, stake(holder), partner(ship), more, money ..
etc.

If you are reading this message, you've done well. If not, your filters need
tweaking. :-(

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au