[Year 12 IT Apps] Task 3 I'm still confused

Charmaine Taylor tigeroz at alphalink.com.au
Thu Aug 2 23:57:32 EST 2007

Hi Russell,
"Does it belong in the IT curriculum?" It belongs in every curriculum.
As usual IT is leading the way in curriculum development in this state
and we IT teachers are the pioneers "bravely going where no-one has gone
before" .  You even say you make notes to 'sift and sort' your thoughts.
This is visualising thinking - putting it on paper or on screen so you
can see what you are thinking. It is often difficult to put ideas into
words and explain relationships succinctly and this is where the graphic
organisers can come in handy. But they are not the only forms of VT.
David Jonassen, one of the gurus, calls them Mindtools (borrowed it from
Papert?) and he identifies several categories including: databases,
spreadsheets, concept maps, computer conferencing, hypermedia,
microworlds, etc ie any tool that can
 "engage learners in constructive, higher-order, critical thinking about
the subjects they are studying".

Charmaine Taylor
Sunbury Downs College