[Year 12 IT Apps] apology

Bell, Cameron P bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Aug 1 13:54:00 EST 2007

(I would reply to Michael direct if I had his email)
I take your point that not all Technicians are out to empire build it was not meant to be a generalisiation, the trouble is that all too often, ok- not in your case, but in many situations I have had to deal with, that technicians often use "technical reasons" to deny a program simply because:
1) It was too hard to implement
2) It was an area that they were unfamiliar with
When push came to shove, it was simply a case of the technician trying to take the easy way out. Bit like simply ghosting a lab than trying to find the source of the problem and correcting that. I have had too many cases where educational programs were dictated by the school technical team as to what was allowed and what wasn't. The trouble was that there were very few people in the school who could see both sides of the argument and often I saw technical arguments hold sway over teachers who were not in a position to argue about what was really feasible with a bit of extra training for the tech.
My response was based on years of this sort of thing and I am sorry that it came across as anti-techie, I am not, I have a great team of technicians who do everything in their power to enable whatever it is that a teacher/student needs. We have an ongong conflict to manage here, trying to keep a network running smoothly balanced against the need to explore, try new programs and above all, enable and facilitate the education of our students.
No I don't know the situation there, and yes I jumped the gun, but it was a response that I have had to use on many occasions to actually get something done.
I am glad that you don't seem to have the same attitude that I have had to deal with over the years. ;)
Cheers
Cameron