[Year 12 Its] New kid on the block

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Fri Nov 10 21:11:40 EST 2006

Hi Mark,

 Welcome to the IT Systems soon to be Software Development family .

 You can find exams going back to 1993 on the ITS site at edulists.
solutions are also supplied or offered by one or more teachers.
I don't know about conventions, but I use Section A Q 5)a) when I am
referencing a question, but feel free as B13 is fine too as far as I'm
concerned.

 You too will have to get used to some unfortunate wording in exam questions
in this subject as I have vented my frustration more than once about this.
If you have time to trawl archives around November/December from last year
you can see some of my analysis of the exam.

  Section B  Q 13

  Not a pretty way of asking about parallel implementation.

  Very confusing. But I guess it is not impossible to run both systems in
one nursery at the same time but one would have to dominate in the event of
conflict with fancy electronics or is this fanciful ?
What about XOR electronic gates where if the inputs are different act on the
dominant one such as input A ( this being the new system ). If (A xor B )
then if (A) act else do nothing. Log all outputs.
An override is sort of implied in the Case Study insert where if the
temperature gets too high, shade curtains are closed regradless of light
level --  even though poor light should open the shade curtains --  and in
the event of extreme conditions mist sprayers come on even if humidity is
above 80% ( which would normally shut down the mist sprayers). It could make
for a fine mess.
 Then again, this could be the first time we have seen a question where a
parallel implementation is for all intents and purposes not practical or
possible as opposed to not desirable. Not sure.

Section B Q 17
 Another poorly worded question. Your interpretation is the right one. The
emphasis is on the "happening" and not the recording .

What about Section A Q 9 ?
   What is a large network ? Large number or nodes or large geographic
spread ?
If it is large number of nodes, you use a core switch and group switches to
segment traffic away from the backbone and not a router. To use a router
adds inefficiency as it is slower. You will create additional networks and
routers sit at borders of networks and not within networks. You will have to
change your addressing scheme and create more work to implement a collection
of sub networks rather than segmenting the one network.
  If it is a large geographic area, you don't use a router to run more
efficiently either. You improve the media and the switches.
 I am not happy most of the time with the networking questions but I am
happy to hear from others on this.

  If you have whetted your appetite for more poor wording questions try
  VCAA Exam 2005 Section B Q 10 :
        Input devices are mouse, keyboard or touch screen. Does that mean
keyboard without mouse ????  or mouse without keyboard ?  Are we using a
virtual keyboard on screen ? or is it keyboard and mouse OR touch screen ?
    and Q 11:

  The speed of a guest booking into the hotel must be reduced by 30% on
average.
It should have read "increased" by 30% as you are building a new system to
speed things along.

and Q12  -- see the suggested answers
Tel: 0419 356 034