[Year 12 Its] A radical approach to the course

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 30 05:39:21 EST 2006

I partly agree with you Robert, but for me the fundamental problem is
getting students to actually READ the question.
Then the next problem is to compose an answer that actually answers the
question.
If a student knows 70% of the coursework and gets 70% on the exam, then
in my mind he has achieved 100% at exam technique.
My very great sadness comes when a student knows 95% of the coursework
but gets only 60% on the exam. For that student, the weak link is their
exam technique.
Your "isn't it sad that education is reduced to this!" suggests that
conquering the challenge of good exam technique is not a 'good' use of
educational endeavour. With this I cannot agree, because I believe that
students who have developed the ability to really understand questions
and to accurately formulate their existing knowledge and understandings
into a good answer to THAT question, are significantly better prepared
for many other challenges that life will throw up at them in their
future social and working lives.
<<Dusts off soap-box for more bursts that may be coming...>>
Regards, Keith