[Year 12 Its] A radical approach to the course

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Wed Mar 29 09:38:47 EST 2006

Hi Folks,

     Call me crazy but I am going to do things differently this year.

 I have been frustrated for some time with the fact my students always do worse in exams than in SACs. Exam prep is always crammed into the 2 -3 weeks of term 4 ( maybe 10 periods in total ) and despite the fact there are at least 6 exams for each past year as practice ( VCAA, 3 x VITTA practice, IARTV, Chem Associates ) times at least 10 years = 60 exams the results don't seem to quite reach  expectations.  I am sure this is due to the huge cram that goes on with other subjects as well and students may only actually do about 5 or so exams as their real practice and really, how much one on one do the students really get with each teacher ?

  So this year we are going to spend 3 weeks in each of Term 2, 3 and 4 = 12 weeks on exam preparation by doing exams in class and marking in class and recording student performance and progress. What we lose in time for SACs, theory and programming, we will trim and cram these rather than the exam.

  I'll let you know how it goes after the results come out in December.

Best Wishes

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au