[Year 12 Its] changes to notebook rollout program

Frank RUSSO FR at monterey.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 2 15:41:14 EST 2006

OK this is complicated

I am the School Notebook Representative (SNR) at Monterey Secondary
College according to the letter I received the steps are as follows:-

Recipient to give option by 13/2/06
Principal endorsement by 16/2/06
SNR nominate staff for Notebooks with their option.
Recepient accept terms and conditions (sign agreement) 23/2/06
Notebooks delivered between 27/3/06 & 24/4/06
Recepient return end of lease Notebook to SNR between 27/3/06 and
24/4/06
SNR records Notebook returned online between 27/3/06 & 24/4/06
SNR receives replacement Notebook from supplier between 27/3/06 and
24/4/06
TSSP (techos) Backup and chnage over data between 27/3/06 and 24/4/06
SNR gives replacement notebook to receipient between 27/3/06 and
24/4/06
TSSP cleans end of lease Notebook between 27/3/06 and 24/4/06
SNR returns end of Lease Notebook to MBL (Macquarie Bank Ltd)

Buy out option available:-
* All notebooks must be returned to Macquarie Bank Limited at end of
lease in the first instance
* The confirmed purchase price for the sale of Notebooks from MBL is:
#  IBM -             $645 ex GST     ($709.50 inc GST) and
#  Apple -          $570 ex GST     ($627.00 inc GST).
* Schools/teachers can purchase end of lease R32/R40/iBook G3 units
after 1 June 2006

Purchase Option
MBL will enable teachers/school to purchase end of lease Notebooks when
ALL end of lease Notebooks have been returned.  Queries regarding the
purchase of end of lease Notebooks are to be made directly to MBL on
1800 REBOOT (1800 732668) from Thursday 1 June 2006.

The purchase price for the sale of Notebooks will be: IBM - $645 (ex
GST) and Apple - $570 (ex GST).  The benefits of this process is that
MBL will re-image the Notebook, provide a six month warranty, physically
check and clean each Notebook.  This does not guarantee that a recipient
will be able to purchase their end of lease Notebook.  These end of
lease Notebooks will be available for purchase by all schools and
teachers.

The purchase of these end-of-lease Notebooks is a direct arrangement
between MBL and the purchaser.  Purchasers are advised to consider their
options including comparing prices and features before making their
purchase.

>From all of the above in summary if the notebooks arrive at your school
you can make arrangemnet with your SNR to hold onto your laptop and do a
swap over old for new. Just backup all your data to server/CD/DVD
etc......
Get your new laptop and transfer that way you shouldn't be without a
laptop. If you hand over the old laptop before your new one is delivered
the you will be without ???

Thus lies the problem, when will the school receive them ? between 27/3
ans 24/4 ???

I know that DEET ordered themthis week Mon/Tue.

If all goes well you should have new laptop and swap for old I wouldn't
hand mine in (if I had to till then)

It's all clear as mud !!!

P.S. Shame about the no freebies I have a lovely 20GB iPod from last
year.
No incentives, Question will there be a USB flash drive with the
IBM's.

Frank Russo
Leading Teacher - Learning Technologies
Monterey Secondary College
Phone: 9781-7762
Fax: 9781-7400

>>> Jolly.Michael.D at edumail.vic.gov.au 2/03/2006 12:30:02 pm >>>
Dear IS colleagues, I just wanted to have a grumble and seek feedback
that I am not missing something.

I am looking forward to getting a replacement laptop via the next round
of changeovers.
I have been told that I must return mine first before I can receive the
new notebook!

Now, this would mean I should backup all my information onto the school
server and then sit and wait.
I have sent an email to the notebook people asking how long I am likely
to be without a notebook and also how will they reimburse me for lack of
HW during that period of the lease. I await their reply.

It seems to me to be a crazy way of running a changeover program -
anyone else care to comment?

Mike Jolly
Kyneton Secondary College
Jolly.Michael.D at edumail.vic.gov.au
and
 jollymike at optusnet.com.au

Important -
This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in
error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using
attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss,
damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or
not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files
our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any
representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual
sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education &
Training.