[Year 12 Its] VB.NET questions

Alex Hopkins a.hopkins at bcc.vic.edu.au
Thu Jun 8 17:08:09 EST 2006

Dear Frank,

The following assumes a RichTextBox on a form.

    Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

        Dim myString As String

        Dim val1 As Double

        Dim val2 As Double

        Dim formattedString As String

        RichTextBox1.Text = String.Empty

        myString = "Hello world"

        val1 = 23.45

        val2 = 67.89

        formattedString = myString & ControlChars.Tab & val1.ToString & ControlChars.Tab & val2.ToString & ControlChars.CrLf

        RichTextBox1.Text = formattedString

        'If you want to take greater control, you can set the tab positions.

        'Use code such as the following after inserting the needed text.

        'The code here will set the tab stops for all the text in the rtb;

        'if it is desired to set the tabs for only a portion of text,

        'modify the SelectionStart and SelectionLength values.

        Dim myTabs() As Integer = {30, 150, 250, 350, 450} 'Create an array of tab positions

        RichTextBox1.SelectionStart = 0

        RichTextBox1.SelectionLength = RichTextBox1.Text.Length

        RichTextBox1.SelectionTabs = myTabs

        'After applying the tabs,

        RichTextBox1.SelectionStart = 0 'set the cursor position (SelectionStart) to zero

        RichTextBox1.SelectionLength = 0 'set the length of the selection to zero

    End Sub

But it's obviously not close to picOutput.print aword, i, i^2

One of the things I do when stumped on such things is to try vbCity, a forum where you can ask questions and usually get answers that are accurate and that arrive within a day.  http://www.vbcity.com/forums/  You do need to log in to ask questions.

You can print text as graphics to a VB.Net form or control, but it wouldn't be any easier for students to understand.  Some of my students wanted to know how to use a graphics object and really enjoyed exploring it, but I gather you're wanting something simpler than that solution.

Regards,

Alex Hopkins