[Year 12 Its] Re: [Yr11InformationTechnology]ProgrammingAwards2006: PD Registrations

Nigel Watson nigelwat at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 7 01:28:12 EST 2006

Actually, students can work at home with VB.NET Express, which is
available as a free download from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/.  They can build
commercial code with this tool if they wish - there are no limitations
on its use, or code it procuces.

I agree that students should be exposed to a variety of languages and
platforms, as this is what they'll face in the real world, and from this
perspective I agree with the sentiments of several on the thread.

However, as a Melbourne Microsoft employee I'm proud that we are doing
our bit to promote the study of ICT in secondary education in Victoria.
In my opinion, we should be doing even more of this to address the
general decline in numbers of students choosing IT as a tertiary
discipline (just go and ask Monash, or Deacon, or RMIT, or LaTrobe about
trends in their CS rolls in the last couple of years).

A lack of secondary student interest in IT and CS is a problem that
transcends platform.  Whatever we can do - collectively - as a community
to increase interest and excitement around ICT in secondary education
can only be a good thing IMHO.  If the open source community wishes to
do something similar - then even better.

Cheers,
	Nigel.
___
Nigel Watson | Architect Advisor | Microsoft Australia | +61-405-228-639