[Year 12 Its] RE: [Year 12 IPM] IT in VELS

Joel Walton ixoye1973 at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 2 15:34:49 EST 2006

Cameron,

Yep I couldn't agree more.

Stand-alone subjects and isolated/unrelated tasks in
IT classes are rubbish!

A more inclusive/realistic utilisation of classes is
needed. I am sure most computer teachers are inclusive
of other areas in their tasks, eg investigating
research topic etc.

And I would love to be a computing consultant to other
subjects and aid the teachers in designing units of
work, but no school I can think of in the government
sector would realistically sanction that idea. :(

Because ICT is a lower priority most of the non-ICT
literate or low-ICT literate because they don't know
how to incorporated it or its "to much of a hassle"
they will just get students to make a power point or
publisher assignment.

File management is important, but its not something
that I spend a lot of time on, I show them how to set
themselves up in the first 10 minutes of the semester
and then encourage them to keep putting their work
into it, if it is not there it doesn’t get marked...
now that’s incentive to maintain it without all of the
constant hassle. :)

I must say before I sign-off... I don't want to sound
like a broken record and a worry-wart, I will accept
anyway that is better for the kids, if it reduces the
number or eliminates stand-alone ICT classes that’s
cool... but so long as the skills are taught I will be
happy.

I don’t want the entire technology to be 'integrated'
into a curriculum that eventually becomes power point
presentations and attaching wheels to a model and then
going....'oooooo' it rolls :)

Cheers,

Joel Walton
Technology KLA