[Year 12 Its] Improving the status of VCE IT subjects

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Mon Jul 10 09:33:07 EST 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 06:55:28PM +1000, Jack Matthews wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I am a relatively new teacher and am rather disappointed in the current VCE
> IT subjects, in particular the content taught in Information System.
>
> In my opinion there need to be a new subject titled something like
> ?Computing fundamentals?.
>
> I have found that there are many students that want to learn the technical
> aspects of computers,  including Programming, Binary computation, circuits,
> SQL, Network communication (packets), Hexadecimal, octal,
> encryption/sorting algorithms, general problem solving etc.
>
> Not only would these be good offering for students and future university
> courses; It would also be relatively easy to examine.
>
> In my opinion, IT studies in general are dumbed down which is the reason
> students don?t even need IT at year 12 to enter a IT course at university.
>
> It is generally considered by teachers and students alike to be an easy
> bludge subject.  And yes, it is!!  Having worked as a programmer in
> industry, this really annoys me, as I know I have worked tiresly on a
> programming problem for days.
>
> A simple example exam question might be: Displaying the hex output of a
> packet sniffer and an ASCII chart, then get the students to interpret the
> protocol used, information sent etc.  A more mathematical approach needs to
> be taken.  ?Correct / Incorrect?, none of this interpretive stuff that
> seems to be continuously presenting itself in IT Systems exams.
>
> I know personally that I have many students that are capable of completing
> such a course.  I would love to see an IT course that is comparable in
> difficulty to Physics, in other words ?challenging?!
>
> What do others think?

;-)

You're fighting an uphill battle.

Let me tell you what our Minister for ICT said at the recent VicIT
drinks and nibblies evening at the museum. Marsha's words are, and I
paraphrase, we don't want to focus on the geeky and the techy, we have
cheap offshore labor to do the actual tech grunt work, why would we want
to do hard-core tech stuff here, like programming?

If that's the direction being set by the person at the top, fat chance
you have of making a difference ;-)

The mealy-mouthed management consultants have taken over the asylum.

All the best in your efforts.

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)