[Year 12 Its] RE: ICDL/VCAL

Muscat, Laurie J Muscat.Laurie.J at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Dec 14 11:34:43 EST 2006

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:44:44 +1100
From: "Kevork Krozian" <Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au>
Subject: [Year 12 Its] ICDL advice
To: <is at edulists.com.au>
Cc: ipm at edulists.com.au

Hi Folks,

  Sorry about the double post here.

    My VCAL colleague wants to teach a package of ICT skills to her VCAL stu=
dents and preferably accredit them with a piece of paper.
We looked at the ICDL ( International Computer Driving License ).  I know so=
me schools have used this in the past.

 Can I please ask:
  1. Did you use your own teaching material ?  If so what did you use, if no=
t where did you source teaching modules/material ?
  2. Did you assess your students or staff with an external ICDL exam and if=
 so at what price ? and through which ICDL assessor ?
  3. Your experience with the content, value of the course and accreditation=
 and any impressions positive or negative

  With thanks

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3Dsnip=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Kevork;

Wrong move IMHO. I taught VCAL Computing Skills for Work this year and it wa=
s a huge success. My students a mixture of Foundation, Intermediate, and Sen=
ior (years 11 and 12) *actually* completed WRS at what ever level they were=
 at - but with an IT flavour. So, for example they produced video's outlinin=
g OH&S outcomes (which is the guts of WRS anyway...) powerpoints then did so=
me Oral presentations that satisfied Literacy as well. That was semester one=

In semester two, we did a Cert II in I.T (general - so that's Industry Specf=
ic Skills) which the students that wanted to, completed. I had no trouble se=
lling it to students, even the felloow who wants a Bricklaying Apprenticeshi=
p. When I explained that it would give him/them and edge by being able to op=
erate a computer and having an Industry acredited qualification, it was all=
 good.

Hope this helps.

Get you collegue to give me a call if she wants some more info..

:-)

Laurie Muscat.
IT Teacher
Bellarine Secondary College.
Drysdale Campus.
Peninsula Drv
3222
Victoria
T 03 5251 9040
muscat.laurie.j at edumail.vic.gov.au

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received=
 in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using=
 attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, dam=
age or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, r=
esulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liabi=
lity is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations=
 or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessari=
ly those of the Department of Education.