[Year 12 Its] REALbasic 4 Mac, Win & now Linux

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu Jun 16 11:59:55 EST 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 11:48:10AM +1000, Donna Benjamin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just discovered that REALsoftware have released a public beta of
> REALbasic for linux.  You can also download a demo for the mac and
> windows versions.
>
> As I was perusing their website (I've used REALbasic on the mac ages
> ago) I discovered this page focussed on teaching programming
> http://www.realsoftware.com/users/education/
> http://www.realsoftware.com/users/learn/
>
> and not only that, they've apparently developed a curriculum for
> secondary school students with little or no programming experience and
> you can download it here:
> http://www.realsoftware.com/users/education/curriculum/
>
> REALbasic is a serious alternative to VB with the added advantage that
> it's truly cross-platform. They have a showcase of software developed
> with REALbasic - here's the page that jumps direct to 'educational
> software'.
> http://www.realsoftware.com/community/showcase/education/

I'm not sure how 100% VB compatible this is, but If you're not worrying
about migrating a 50,000 line VB codebase but only using this as an
educational tool, then this isn't a problem.

Also of interest, their Standard version, for Linux, is free of cost. I
believe it is intended to remain free in future too.

Cheers,

Con Zymaris, Convenor
Open Source Victoria
http://www.osv.org.au/