[Year 12 Its] Google Earth.

Rupert Russell r.russell at ballarat.edu.au
Tue Jul 26 04:15:33 EST 2005

I used it today for the first time with my pre service teacher students
and they loved it. I had to install the correct 3D video card drivers
for the PC as it was appallingly slow when running on the default
drivers.  I also requires a fast Internet feed.

One of my students had seen it already and mentioned that if you turn on
the Confluence Placemarks layer which is one of the User-Supplied
Collections that it provides a link to each Confluence point listed in
the degree confluence project website.   The goal of this project is to
visit each of the latitude and longitude integer degree intersections in
the world, and to take pictures at each location.  see:
http://www.confluence.org/index.php

Here is a picture of a GPS sitting at one of the confluence points.

http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=3959&pic=6

He was going to post a reply to the earlier GPS posting to this list or
was it Yr7-10it suggesting the link between Google Earth and possible
use for a GSP in schools.  Though from the look of it all the Confluence
points in Victoria (where I hail from) have been visited already.

Regards,

Rupert.

Rupert Russell
School of Education
University of Ballarat
PO Box 663 Ballarat
Victoria 3353
AUSTRALIA

Ph. +613 5327 9965
Fax. +613 5327 9717
http://velorum.ballarat.edu.au/~rrussell

>>> conz at cyber.com.au 07/20/05 10:10 AM >>>

Haven't seen mention of this tool on any of these forums, so on the
off-chance you haven't stumbled across it yet, check out:

 http://earth.google.com/

It's not open source, but it's an awesome educational resource. ;-)

Enjoy.

Con Zymaris, Convenor
Open Source Victoria
http://www.osv.org.au/