[Year 12 IPM] Computer Lab usage

David Irving DIrving at monivae.vic.edu.au
Fri Sep 8 10:38:56 EST 2006

hi folks,
couldn't help but join in this one.
we changed to 77/78 minute periods four years ago. at that time we had 7 periods per day and the student movement and teacher preparation per day was just over the top. i thought it a great idea when we changed to the new longer periods. we did some research, visited some schools etc.

be careful

there are many problems associated with longer periods.
1. with a 77 minute period we see the year 8 kids once a week. this means you have to try to get over two or three different concepts during the one period and if a student is away or you are away or there is a sports day etc. then you don't see the kids for two weeks.
2. the problem above is even worse with VCE. i see my VCE kids twice one week and three times the next. trying to get through a course is a real problem. the lack of contact time means you set homework and if you want the students to have a chance to ask you about it (after attempting it) you often have to make it due in two weeks time. you can't set little task to be completed for the next period.
3. if you get an extra it is a quarter of your day gone. if there is no work set you are trying to keep the kids entertained for 77 minutes.
4. if a teacher or two are away it is quite possible for students to spend half their day (or more) with replacement teachers.
5. it is not easy fitting four periods into a day and alowing reasonable time for recess and lunch. you either have lunch about 12:00 or 1:20
6. try forming a partnership with a school (working 6 x 50s) and having SACs on at the same time when your contact time is 5 times a fortnight.
7. from a timetable point of view it is quite difficult to get any sort of reasonable spread of classes over a week when you don't have many blocks to play with.

there are benefits however.
1. certainly the movement of students is reduced radically reduced.
2. teachers have only four periods to prepare for a day (albeit longer periods which require a significant change in teaching style for many teachers - not necessarily a bad thing)
3. in practical periods you have time to present some theory and then back it up with prac work.
4. if a teacher is away the daily organiser has four classe to cover rather than 6 (or 7 as we had)

personally i would be very happy to go to 5 periods a day

cheers

David Irving
ICT Coordinator

Monivae College