[Year 12 IPM] Computer Lab usage

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Sep 7 10:12:44 EST 2006

Longer periods give you the opportunity to use several "highly directed"
learning activities OR the opportunity to engage in a longer activity if
it is needed, something you are restricted in if constrained to a 45 min
period. Longer periods give you the flexibility and choice. I found it a
nightmare as I can't fit in the introduction (and roll), the activity
then a conclusion into 45 minutes. Too rushed. It is about "one size
fits all", the more time you have to work through an activity, allows
students of all abilities to achieve something, rather than only having
enough time for those who can quickly comprehend the concepts and are
organised enough to complete the activity. Those students, I have found
then have the opportunity to be extended. In science, I have those
students start to think about errors, etc while the slower students have
the time to actually achieve something. All too often those students
will procrastinate, knowing that if they can lie low for a couple of
minutes they can get away without learning something.

>A rather immature response, I would suggest.
Would you? On what basis is this "immature"?
We are trying to shift the focus from the teacher, to more group work
and self-directed activities. Is this a "fad" simply because it is
different? At what point do you consider a "fad" - a subconscious
inference that anything new is just a passing phase to be tolerated,
become legitimate?
My personal preference is for tables that can be arranged in rows if
needed, however, there is a range of furniture now available that make
for different, stimulating learning spaces that students and teachers do
appreciate. if the furniture cannot be arranged in rows so be it!
(Had to laugh, at the end of last session a teacher came in and scowled
- "Why are the tables in groups again?")

I think that while the forums are a good place to exchange ideas,
remember that there are not always right and wrong solutions when the
individual schools context is generally missing from the discussion.
Each school has their own issues, ideas and strategies. I am putting
forward our solutions and ideas, you yours. There really is no call for
labelling or put downs based on what you perceive to be the answer as it
applies to your situation not ours. Schools would not adopt "fads",
"fashions" or longer period days without careful thought and looking at
the educational rationale and making a careful decision, but sometimes,
you just have to jump!

cheers
Cameron