[Year 12 IPM] Unit2 IT pathways Approved programming languages

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 11:39:59 EST 2006

Hi Nick .. why not try something with GameMaker? Free for students
to download, fun to play with and relatively easy to use and share.

At the ACEC2006 conference, I was very impressed with the work by equivalent
senior school colleagues in South Australia, QLD and Tasmania and its impact
at the preconference workshops and gaming threads. We should pick up the
initiative in Victoria.

Our ASISTM cluster is currently exploring work on re-programmable learning
objects some forays into optics, physics and ecology simulators (some good
reasons why it is good to model a complex system using the GameMaker
engine). This is a fascinating way of engaging students with a real world of
physics and ecology modeling that I can relate to from my days working with
computers from my former life at ICI.

I was interested to find out that the GameMaker action script
language<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Maker_Language>is similar
to the code used by Flash  There is even some work on a tool
called G-Flash<http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?showtopic=245028&mode=threaded&pid=1746284>that
even allow users to convert GM6 scripts to Flash for use online.

Tony and I hare running another course on this with the ICTEV and VITTA this
year .. or your can work your way through one of the tutorials yourself. May
be also worth looking at Blender too ..

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au