[Year 12 IPM] Student Hacking

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Fri Oct 20 22:44:46 EST 2006

Only real way to protect internet traffic is to encrypt it.

You might like to look at GPG for email, and make sure you only use web
forms that use a secure connection (SSL/TLS)
http://www.gnupg.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP

It's also possible to sniff passwords sent via web browsers unless it's
using a secure connection which encrypts the traffic.

They say "security is a journey, not a destination".  Most people are
concerned when they discover how much of their traffic is legible, but
many find the process of encrypting their traffic not worth the trouble
for their perceived level of risk.

Many of my professional IT colleagues seem quite seriously paranoid
sometimes, but this apparent paranoia comes from their deep
understanding of how network traffic actually works.

cheers
- Donna

--
donna benjamin - executive director