[Year 12 IPM] Formats & Conventions

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Sun Oct 15 17:58:02 EST 2006

This keeps coming up...

1. Formats and conventions are not the same thing
2. Formats describe how information is structured or arranged e.g. as a
table, a graph, a web page, an annual report.
3. Once a format has been chosen, there are conventions that are (a)
mandatory (b) preferred or (c) optional for that convention.

e.g. once you choose to the format of a table to present data, the
conventions are to have bold headings, right-aligned numbers in columns etc.

If you'd chosen the format of a bar graph, you'd need to follow the
conventions of labelling axes, using different colour or fill pattern
for the different bars etc.

Does that help?

Ooroo.

Mark

Stewart, Andrew wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please describe an easy way to explain to my students the
> difference between preferred and optional formats or conventions?
>

> My students have struggled with Q 4 of the 2004 VCAA paper.
>

> Cheers
>

> Andrew
>

> Andrew Stewart
>
> Head of Information & Communication Technologies
>
> Ballarat & Clarendon College
>
> 1425 Sturt St
>
> Ballarat Vic 3350
>
> Ph:    63 3 53308200
>
> Fax:   63 3 53323553
>
> Mob: 0419516701
>
> www.clarendon.vic.edu.au <http://www.clarendon.vic.edu.au/>
>

> Disclaimer
> This message, including any attachments, is provided without
> responsibility in law for its accuracy or otherwise and without
> assumption of a duty of care by the School. Whilst every attempt has
> been made to ensure material in this e-mail message is free from
> computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided, and
> may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility
> for use of the material transmitted. This e-mail is intended for the use
> of the named individual or entity and may contain confidential or
> privileged information. Any dissemination, distribution or copying by
> anyone other than the intended recipient of this e-mail is strictly
> prohibited. If this Email has been received in error, then please notify
> Ballarat & Clarendon College immediately and destroy the original message.

> Curriculum and Assessment Authority and
> http://www.vitta.org.au <http://www.vitta.org.au> - VITTA Victorian

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000 << new number!
School Fax   +613 9578 9253

IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List

Doctor - We must all face reality sooner or later.
Dowd   - I wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy to
say I won out over it.  ('Harvey', 1950)