[Year 12 IPM] McKinnon is running SoD!

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Sat Oct 14 17:20:50 EST 2006

Woohoo! I've just found out I'm teaching Software Development (SoD) in
2007 for the first time (never having taught the current study design's
Information Systems)

I've programmed FORTRAN on a Cyber mainframe, machine code on Z80 and
6502, C, and BASIC (with a touch of COBOL and Pascal) since 1978 but
it's still a bit scary having to try to explain to students how to do
something that has been intuitive and just a hobby for so long.

Like, I *KNOW* what FIFO stacks and indirect pointers are, but the scary
challenge is trying to explain them to wide-eyed neophytes. I guess
that's what makes teaching such a challenge.

Thinks: I hope I don't need to know encapsulation and inheritance - I
ossified before OOP got popular.

Expect the IT Lecture Notes site to expand quite a lot: that's where I
consolidate my own understanding by trying to explain it to others.

It's going to be a busy summer!

Mark

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College