[Year 12 IPM] OT: policies on iPod and listening to music

Stephen Digby digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Oct 6 12:05:38 EST 2006

Student access to
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=Communication> communication while at school:

Context:

*	desire to encourage more student engagement. One strategy is to give
them more autonomy and therefore more responsibility

*	currently access to external information sources is highly
regulated:

*
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=Internet> internet sites are heavily restricted by government
mandated filtering and subject to random scans by school staff

*	phone access is only allowed in public places or with specific staff
permission

*	mobile phone use (SMS, voice and
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=Internet> internet) is prohibited

*	most web email servers are blocked

*	personal data storage systems are allowed ONLY if they are equipped
only for data exchange (e.g. iPod with earphones not allowed; iPod without
earphones allowed for data transfer; CD player not allowed; flash drives
without earphones allowed)

*	there are

*	occasional requests for student access to email from both students &
staff

*	common requests for student access to mobile phone from students and
some parents

*	common requests for access to sites blocked by government filters
for educational purposes

*	many valid educational purposes that all the above could serve
especially in the context of increased student autonomy and responsibility

*	many schools provide email accounts to all students.

*	these accounts are rarely used by students

*	create an additional layer of
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=IT> IT infrastructure management

*	create significant legal responsibility for the school re. the
content and destination of emails.

*	many schools allow students access to web based email servers

*	these accounts expose students to unsuitable content through "spam"
(just as
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=EduMail> edumail and other mail services do for staff) i.e.
unavoidable danger of inappropriate email content (e.g. pornographic spam)

*	Hotmail has very sophisticated spam filters

*	dangers of replying to emails with any personal information

*	significant download costs associated with hotmail in particular
(students can often consume dollars of download in a single hotmail session)

*	all staff have fixed email address provided by DE&T. They are
relatively easy to find out but not openly published. If students have easy
access to them and spam them from an external anonymous server, there is no
way to protect staff from unwanted email or detect perpetrators. If staff
change their DE&T
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=EduMail> edumail email address, many work related communications
may be disrupted.

*	many schools allow students to bring mobile phones to school with
restrictions (e.g. no use in class)

*	many schools allow student use of storage/ music players with
restrictions (e.g. obey request to put
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=IT> it away from a teacher)

*	all schools have significant
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=Internet> internet content filtering in place due to legislative
requirement.

Recommendations:

Email/ Chat:

- continue to

*	block and prohibit access to chat sites and software (e.g. MSN &
Yahoo)

*	block and prohibit access to external web-based email clients (such
as hotmail, gmail etc)

*	provide and promote data storage for students & staff that is
accessible from home so that they can use information collected at school in
emails (or phone calls) that they make from home.

*	promote use of submit (S drive) folders for students to contact
staff provide work to staff

*	promote use of
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=Intranet> intranet discussion (where email alerts can be sent to
teachers at their discretion when new discussion items are posted by staff
or students).

*	recommend that staff do not reveal their DE&T
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=EduMail> edumail address to students, but rather encourage contact
through S drive,
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=Intranet> intranet data submission, and voice mail, as well as the
school website general address: admin at cheltsec.vic.edu.au

- where students need email services urgently while at school, LT staff can
send mail from admin at cheltsec.vic.edu.au, or any teacher, at their
discretion, can send the email on their behalf from a teachers notebook
(just as we supervise phone calls to outside people & agencies)

Phone:

*	implement voice mail so that students can
<http://infonet.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/mod/wiki/view.php?wid=12&userid=0&groupi
d=0&page=Leave> leave phone messages for staff

Personal Data Storage:

*	allow school use of flash drives and portable hard drives for data
transfer even if they are hybrid music players as well. i.e. change the
school rule that iPods etc will be confiscated.
New rule could be:
Students are allowed to carry and use personal data storage systems even if
they include other functions such as music playback. Students must obey any
teachers request to cease to use such equipment in class; or to hand over
the equipment (for data analysis for unsuitable content brought onto school
premises). Students and parents accept that the school takes no
responsibility for damage or loss of such equipment.

Stephen Digby, Learning Technology Manager
mailto:admin at cheltsec.vic.edu.au
Cheltenham Secondary College www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au
<http://www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/>  Ph: 613 955 55 955  Fx: 9555 8617

Intuition becomes increasingly valuable in the new information society
precisely because there is so much data. (John Naisbitt)