[Year 12 IPM] IPM Exam

Meadows, Roslyn M Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Nov 2 00:25:10 EST 2006

I seem to remember the last time I purchased a printer for my home network (=
and if I work on the helpdesk at school and can put networks together aren't=
 I also a 'computer support person'?) it was the quick ref card I pulled out=
 (basically to check the order they wanted me to do stuff like - plug into p=
ower, plug in USB, install drivers, turn printer on etc - not that it probab=
ly matters, but they always seem to insist on a particular order!) To me the=
 question relies on the phrase "When installing" - and one would not NEED a=
 technical manual to install the printer. I do admit that technical manuals=
 are written for the technically competent, but I don't consider that the te=
ch manual is NEEDED to INSTALL it. If the question had have been "When purch=
asing.." or "When troubleshooting a problem with the printer..." maybe the t=
ech manual would be the choice.

It will be interesting to see what the examiners WANTED/EXPECTED for an answ=
er. If a group of teachers who teach the subject can't agree on the answer t=
hen it certainly can't be a good question!

I agree with your shooting down of my answer re the USB/wireless question

Mark - if the son does well it will all be to your credit - the only discuss=
ions I have had with him all year re: computers and IT have gone along the l=
ines of ...
Me: Stop playing that damn game and do some homework
Him: I'm quite capable of playing the game, chatting and doing my homework a=
t the same time - it's called multitasking  ... duh!
He refused to discuss any of his answers to the IPM exam - just looking towa=
rds the next one.
Also to your credit is that he wants to do a degree in IT (but I don't know=
 which one cos that's something else we don't discuss!)
And I totally forgive you for considering him part of your "sheltered worksh=
op" lol

BTW Mark - how's the Ultranet panning out? I'm back at Bentleigh next year a=
nd wanting to get Moodle up and happening, but if we will all be forced to m=
ove to Ultranet then one wonders...

Ros Meadows
Lauriston Girls School
meadows.roslyn.m at edumail.vic.gov.au

Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and wei=
ghs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and p=
erhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
Popular Mechanics, March 1949
You'd have to tow your laptop to school everyday!!!