[Year 12 IPM] VITTA Annual Conference 2006 --- CallforPapers -NOWOPEN

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue May 2 01:06:30 EST 2006

If I can lend anything to this debate, arm yourselves with the new standards
for ICT by reading them in their detail, not just the summary bits. I got
caught out with the Maths and Geography level 6 domains when designing a
VELS assessment tool and spotted a similar error by others with parts of the
ICT domain.

Some of my well intentioned secondary school colleagues still have no idea
how low they are aiming when they are trying to work in an ICT strand into
their ideas for an integrated course of study, limiting their vision to just
PowerPoint, e-mail and Google. There is no excuse for them to shrug when I
suggest learning a new computer tool as the CMAP visual organiser, wiki's,
programming with GameMaker can fit very nicely into ICT for creating and ICT
for communication is much, much more than just tossing an e-mail message
back to the teacher.

Read the standards and insisting on this much from any colleagues that walk
across any ICT domain path. Whlist they strive to include an IT activities
to make an couse of study more interesting, if you view it as trivial or
flippant, the best advice to give may be to leave out the ICT domain
assessment but keep in the fun.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au